As healthcare becomes more complex, certification becomes one way to demonstrate and showcase competencies for all professionals working in the health sector. It strengthens the public confidence in safer healthcare systems. Biomedical Engineering and indeed Healthcare technology professionals seek certification as a way of demonstrating their accomplishments, mastery of skills, and experience in core competencies.
The main purpose of certification in biomedical engineering is to promote healthcare delivery improvement through the continuing assessment and recognition of the competency of professionals who support and advance patient care by applying engineering and management skills to healthcare technology. Individually, being a Certified Biomedical Engineering Professional demonstrates competency and professional recognition as measured by an examination designed by one's peers.
The College of Biomedical Engineering and Technology Examination and Certification Board (CBET ECB)awards certification credentials to individual biomedical engineering professionals (BEP) and institutions and entities in higher education, industry, and healthcare delivery.
Certification helps to highlight a professional's ability to provide quality and trustworthy service.
Currently the three categories of certifications available in CBET are Certified Biomedical Engineering Professional (CBEP) for:
1. Newly Graduated Biomedical Engineering Student from approved institutions (new certification)
2. Practising Biomedical Engineering Professionals that are already members or were certified the previous years (re-certification)
3. Practising Biomedical Engineering Professionals that were not members or were not certified the previous years (new certification)
4. Undergraduates studying biomedical engineering can be certified as Biomedical Engineering Professionals in Training (BEPiT)
The Process of Certification
Certification in Biomedical Engineering in Nigeria is a three-step process:
1) undertaking a prescribed qualifying courses
2) application review by the CBET ECB, and
3) certification examination.
Every Certification for any current year requires that the candidates obtained at least a 10-credit CPD for the candidate the previous year.
Each Certification is valid for one calendar year at which time it must be renewed.
Click here to take a qualifying online course Qualifying BME Online Courses.
And click here to download the Certification Examination Application Form.